f you are planning to sell stuff online to make extra money, there are several options for you. Selling clothes on platforms like eBay has become very common these days, and people are making good money out of it. But if you want to make something good out of such a business, it is very important to choose the right platform.
Poshmark, eBay, and Mercari are some popular platforms where you can sell stuff online. But when it comes to comparing eBay VS Mercari or Poshmark, several factors come into play. In this article, we will discuss all the factors that come into play while selling stuff on such platforms, and help you choose the best option among these three.
1. Customer Base – Mercari vs eBay vs Poshmark
It is very important to look at the customer base of a platform while selling stuff. If the platform has a huge customer base, more people are likely to see your stuff, and it increases the chances of selling it. Let’s have a look at the customer base of all these platforms.
1. eBay– eBay has over 180 million users
2. Poshmark– Poshmark has over 40 million users
3. Mercari– Over 100 million downloads worldwide
If we compare the customer base of these three, eBay is the clear winner. So, if you want more people to see your stuff, choosing eBay can be a great option. But when we talk about Mercari vs Poshmark, there is not much difference in their customer base.
2. Selling Fees
You will need to pay the selling fees for using these platforms and it is very important to keep an eye on the fees if you are planning to make a business out of it. Even if you are planning to sell an item on an online platform only once, you should try to save as much as you can on the selling fees. Let’s see how much you have to pay on different platforms.
1. eBay– You will need to pay 10-12% once the item sells. The selling fee may vary depending upon the category of the item that you are planning to sell.
2. Poshmark– If you are planning to sell an item on Poshmark, you will need to pay a fee of 20% once the item sells. However, the charges vary for items under $15 as you will need to pay $2.95.
3. Mercari– Mercari will charge you 10% once the item sells.
If we compare the fees of these platforms, Mercari is the winner. However, if we consider the fact that eBay has such a huge customer base, 10-12% isn’t that bad. Is eBay better than Poshmark or Mercari? On the basis of selling fees, yes, it is better.
3. Seller Experience
Yes, selling stuff online can make you some extra money. But if you are planning to do it for the long term, this factor will come into play. Let’s see which of these platforms offers the best seller experience.
1. eBay– The platform is well designed, and you are unlikely to face any issues while using it. However, if we look at the policies, sellers have a lot of things to keep in mind while selling an item on eBay. To begin with, if you ship late, it might have a negative impact on your account. The same will be the case if you cancel any order.
2. Poshmark– When we talk about seller experience, you are unlikely to face any issues while selling on Poshmark. The interface is user-friendly and there are no such policies that may affect the seller experience. If you are doing your job properly, you are likely to have an amazing seller experience on Poshmark.
3. Mercari– You will not face any issues while selling an item on Mercari. However, it may be hard to get in touch with the customer as you won’t be able to see his phone number.
If we look at the above-mentioned details, Poshmark has the upper hand here. Sellers can expect a fantastic experience while selling on Poshmark.
4. Shipping Policies
When you sell stuff online, it is very important to be sure about the shipping policies of the platform you choose. If you are thinking that the customer will have to pay the shipping charges and it won’t affect your sale, you might be wrong here. No customer would want to pay high shipping charges for low priced items. Let’s have a look at the shipping policies of these platforms.
1. eBay– The shipping policies on eBay can be confusing for new sellers as there are a lot of things to keep in mind. However, if we look at it from the customer’s point of view, eBay has a lot to offer. The seller gets the option to choose the shipping cost on an item while selling on eBay.
2. Poshmark– There are no complicated and confusing shipping policies when we talk about Poshmark. The shipping cost is fixed on Poshmark, which makes things a bit simpler for sellers. However, you should also keep in mind that the shipping cost may be high for low-priced items.
3. Mercari– The shipping policies are very simple on Mercari as well, and sellers are unlikely to face any issues in this field. Moreover, sellers can also choose to pay the shipping charges and offer free shipping to buyers to make the deal look more appealing.
If we compare the shipping policies of these platforms, selling on eBay can be a little complicated. However, when it comes to the overall cost of the items, eBay may have an upper hand as it is easy to less low-priced items here. So, choosing the best one among these based on shipping policies will be hard as sellers may have different priorities while selling stuff.
5. Effort Required
When we talk about the overall experience a person would have while selling an item online, the effort required to sell the item will have a role to play. The level of effort required to sell an item will vary on each platform.
1. eBay– As we mentioned in the seller experience section, sellers have a lot of things to take care of while selling on eBay. You will need to put in some effort in the listing, shipping, and some other sections while selling an item. However, if we look at the customer base of eBay, things become a bit smoother.
2. Poshmark– You don’t have to put in a lot of effort while selling on Poshmark when it comes to listing or shipping. However, you may need to share your items to increase the likelihood of them getting sold.
3. Mercari– Everything is easy on this platform as sellers don’t need to put in a lot of effort on listing and shipping. Moreover, promoting your items is also very easy on Mercari as there is a ‘promote’ button for the same.
When it comes to selling an item, there is no certainty in whether a buyer would purchase it or not. So when we talk about the effort required to sell an item on any of these platforms, things will always be uncertain. However, keeping an eye on these factors, Mercari can be the winner as there is nothing much to do once the item is online for sale.
6. Extra Features
Some extra features can always come in handy, and when we talk about selling stuff online, having a helping hand would be beneficial. Let’s see what these platforms have to offer in this particular section.
1. eBay– One of the best things about selling on eBay is the fact that you can run sales. It will help you attract more people, which may help you sell more. Moreover, sellers have the option to send offers to people who have come across their items.
2. Poshmark– Poshmark allows sellers to offer bundle discounts, which is a great feature. You can increase more items in one go by offering a discount on the purchase of two or three items. Moreover, sellers can interact with buyers and send them offers, which may also prove helpful in selling an item successfully.
3. Mercari– Wouldn’t it be great if you could send offers to people who have liked your item? Well, you can do it on Mercari, and this is a wonderful feature. If you know someone is interested in buying your item, you can send him an offer to increase the likelihood of making a sale.
If we look at the above-mentioned features, all three have something valuable to offer. However, Mercari and Poshmark have upper hands here as they have more appealing features to offer. What’s better, Mercari or Poshmark? If we have to choose one among these two based on extra features, Poshmark is the winner here.
After looking at different factors, we can see that eBay has the upper hand here. The biggest factor here is the customer base as your first priority as a seller should be to reach more people. However, when it comes to choosing one over the other, the preferences of the seller may come into play. If you have read this article carefully, it will be easier for you to choose the right platform based on your needs.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.